What is Splitit?
Splitit is a global payment solution enabling shoppers to pay for purchases with an existing debit or credit card by splitting the cost into interest-free monthly payments.
How does Splitit work?
Splitit requests authorization from the shopper's card company, reserving the total purchase amount from the shopper's available line of credit. Then, each month, according to the shopper's payment plan, the installment amount is collected and Splitit requests authorization for the remaining balance.
Here is an example of how the service works for a customer buying a TV totaling $1,000 in 5 installments of $200 each:
1. Splitit obtains authorization from the credit card company for the full purchase amount of $1,000. This is not a charge on the card; it is simply reserving $1,000 from the shopper's line of credit.
2. The credit card company then charges the shopper $200 for the first payment.
3. During the second month, Splitit requests authorization for the outstanding purchase amount of $800, and charges the shopper the second installment of $200.
4. This authorization and charge process continues until the full $1000 is collected–in this case, for 5 months.
Splitit requests authorization from the shopper's card company, reserving the total purchase amount from the shopper's available line of credit. At the time of purchase, you will only be charged for the first payment, but the entire amount will be held on your debit card as a temporary hold, and released within 5 business days.
Here is an example of how the service works for a customer buying a pair of shoes totaling $300 in 3 installments of $100 each.
1. Splitit obtains authorization from the credit card company for the full purchase amount of $300. This is not a charge on the card; it is simply reserving $300 from the shopper's line of credit and will be released within 5 business days.
2. The credit card company charges the shopper $100 for the first payment.
3. During the second and third month the shopper is charged an additional $100 until the payment plan is complete.
Is there an application process for Splitit?
Splitit requires no application or registration. There is an instant approval by using the shoppers existing credit/ debit card level.
What fees does Splitit charge me?
You will not be charged interest and there are no hidden fees.
Which cards are supported by Splitit?
Splitit is supported by Visa and Mastercard.
*Some merchants will only accept credit cards and not debit cards.
How do I track the installment payments on my card statement?
Each month, your credit card statement displays the installment charge amount for that month, along with the merchant name. You will also see the authorization/hold for the outstanding amount dropping by one installment, every month. In addition, Splitit will email you after each successful installment charge.
How do I receive a report of my installments?
When you make a purchase using Splitit, you will be asked to provide your email. Splitit sends you credentials so you can log in to the Splitit consumer portal to check your installment status and view other information regarding your purchase. The portal can also be found in the footer of the website.
Can I pay off my installments early?
Yes, you can. This option is available on your Splitit consumer portal or you can contact our customer care at email@example.com.
Credit/ Debit Card
What happens to my credit score if I use Splitit?
Nothing. If you use a Splitit installment plan there is no impact on your credit score. The bank simply sees the individual installment charges each month. If one of your payment authorizations is declined, there is still no effect on your credit rating; it is simply a declined charge.
What if my card is going to expire in the middle of payments?
Splitit allows you to use credit/ debit cards which expire in the middle of the installment plan. One month before the credit card expiration, Splitit will notify you via email and give you the option to switch the payments to your new card. You can switch credit cards directly via the Splitit consumer portal or you can contact our customer care team directly.
What if my credit card gets lost or stolen?
If something happens to your credit or debit card, please do the following:
1. Contact your card company to report the card lost.
2. Visit the Splitit portal and update your payment plan with another credit card. Go to the "payment plan information" tab, select your payment plan and click "update card details." Enter the new credit card details and click "confirm."
3. If you are having any trouble, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can I still recieve points and rewards on my card?
Shoppers can still enjoy their credit card benefits such as air miles or points when using Splitit.
How can I log into my Splitit account?
In order to log into your Splitit account, you must use the credentials that were emailed to you after your purchase. The log in portal can also be found in the footer of the website.
What if I forgot my Splitit password?
To retrieve a new password, login to the shopper portal and click on "forgot password". Enter your email address and Splitit will email you a temporary password and instructions to follow for resetting your password.
How can I get live support from Splitit?
Feel free to email us at email@example.com and we will get back to you ASAP.
Where can I see the Splitit user manual?
The user manual can be accessed in the consumer portal.
How and when do I receive the funds in my merchant account?
You receive funds from your payment processor according to your agreement with them.
How do I manage a card refund request?
Go into the merchant portal and locate the specific plan. Then proceed to cancel it. During this process you will receive the following options; refund the last installment or refund all installments that were captured within the last 120 days. After choosing the correct refund option, the installment will be refunded and the remaining installments will be canceled.
How do I handle a chargeback?
Whenever Splitit is informed by a merchant that a chargeback has occurred, we will provide all of the necessary transaction details to help resolve it.
How do we reconcile transactions?
Splitit provides a reconciliation report in the merchant portal which can be customized to your specific requests and needs.
How do my customers receive information about their installment solution?
When a shopper signs up for a payment plan with Splitit, he/she provides an email address to receive regular communication from Splitit. The customer receives secure login information to review their account, including installment transaction activity and other Splitit payment plan data.
What is the maximum charge amount allowed with Splitit?
As a merchant, you can customize the minimum and maximum charge amounts (total ticket value) and the minimum and maximum number of monthly installments in accordance with Splitit policy.
How can I monitor installments?
Every deposit made into your merchant account by your acquirer/payment processor is itemized with your Splitit merchant number and has a unique transaction number for tracking purposes. This can be monitored through your merchant portal.
Who manages the monthly installment charges and authorizations?
Splitit manages and monitors all merchant installment transactions and authorizations. You have web-based access and 24/7 support for your account and payment activity.
How does my company integrate Splitit to their website?
Integrating the Splitit platform into an e-commerce site is simple and quick. We offer the following different free integration tools:
1. Standard Web API: With our API, you can connect to Splitit and maintain your website marketing by designing the user interface as you wish.
2. Embedded Code: Through our live button embedded code, you are able to connect to Splitit without having to change anything in your website; the embedded code will seamlessly add our button to your checkout page. You will use our checkout form and you don’t have to worry about PCI compliance or additional website development.
3. Plug-in with leading e-commerce platforms: Magento, Shopify, WooCommerce, PrestaShop, SalesForce Commerce Cloud and more.
Is Splitit Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI DSS) compliant?
Yes. Splitit is providing a secure platform that adheres to all PCI DSS requirements. More information about our PCI certification can be found at https://www.splitit.com/pci/.
Is Splitit a safe solution?
Yes. Splitit complies with Visa and MasterCard operating standards. We are PCI – DSS level 1 compliant and we use communication security technology (single-socket layer/ SSL) to keep the information safe.
How does Splitit manage risk?
Splitit uses valid authorizations from the credit card issuer just like a standard credit card purchase. By implementing the Splitit solution, you can offer your customers a new, secure payment solution.
How do I become a Splitit merchant?
We would love to connect and hear more about your business. Please click the 'request a demo' button at the top of the page and we will be in touch soon.
Where can I see the Splitit merchant manual?
The merchant manual can be accessed in the merchant portal.